Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

This book is one that I've always thought about reading, but was never sure if it would really be something I was interested in. Then I heard Peter Jackson was making the movie, and I became a lot more interested (LOVE Peter Jackson). Then I started seeing commercials for the movie a few months ago and realized I really needed to read the book before I could see the movie.

After reading the book I can understand what all the hype was about. It was a fascinating story; having the murdered girl narrate the story made it so much more compelling than it could have been otherwise. For the most part I really did enjoy this book. It was well-written and absorbing. I found it hard to put down. However, I was a little disappointed with the way it ended. It wasn't at all the ending I was expecting. I won't go into it too much for those of you who haven't read the novel, but it just felt a little anti-climactic to me, without enough closure.

Then again, that's probably the way it's supposed to be; the main theme of the novel being about healing and moving on, not necessarily about righting wrongs.

Overall, I would probably recommend this book if anyone asked. It was a very good story, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the movie compares to the book.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information.. I watched this movie and liked it very much...you can watch The lovely Bones movie from this website. i also watched it here

    ReplyDelete