Saturday, December 26, 2009

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

I've only read two books by Murakami so far, but I can already tell he has a habit of writing really anti-climactic endings.

This novel focuses on two main characters, one a young boy who has run away from home and another an older man who after an incident during WWII now has mental handicaps. Like many of Murakami's books (from my understanding, though I've only read one other one) there is some magical realism involved; this book takes place in a world where fish fall from the sky, souls can leave bodies at night and wander and magical gateways exist to strange in-between worlds.

Kafka on the Shore was a really interesting book, for the most part. I was really enjoying it till I got to the last 100 or so pages. The story was really intriguing. However, like The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, the ending was only okay. I won't go into too many details, but it was somewhat disappointing. However, the rest of the book was really good so even with the lackluster ending, I would consider it a good book and worth my time reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment